Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
What does Yakima Clean Air Do?

Assures compliance with the federal and state clean air acts and the regulations pursuant to the acts. This is done by monitoring and reporting the air quality, assisting businesses to comply with various applicable rules, investigating complaints about air pollution, and providing public education about the existence and prevention of air pollution.

How do I Register using Express Bill Pay?

Instruction for Paying Online Registration - 2016

Dear Registered Source:

Last year we developed a system to make the registration process easier and faster for customers.   You are now able to complete, submit and pay your registration forms and fees online.  

Fillable forms are available on the YRCAA website at  Click “Forms and Registration” complete and submit the form(s) that applies to your facility. 

Registration invoices can be paid through YRCAA’s main page or under “Forms and Registration”. Click to select your registration class and pay online. 

If you created an account through Express Bill Pay last year, invoices can be paid through that account or you can pay using our website as stated above. 

If you prefer to open an account with Xpress Bill Pay, the following is how to register through their website: 

1.      Go to;

2.      Click the “Go” button below “New to Xpress Bill Pay?” and complete the short registration form including email and password;

3.      Select your billing organization and follow the prompts for linking your bill; and 

4.      Once your bill is added to your account, you can view and pay your bill online or set up a recurring auto payment schedule. 

You still have the option of mailing in your registration forms and fees; however, we strongly encourage you to complete your registration online.   

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (509) 834-2050 ext. 105 or ext. 107.  Thank you.



Where do I get Information about Air Pollution?

Yakima Clean Air has public education information available in English and Spanish. Some of these publications are posted on this website.

What is the Air Quality History in Yakima County?

Since the early 1990's the air quality trends for both particulate matter smaller than 10 microns (PM10) and carbon monoxide (CO) have been improving as measured by the daily and annual average measurements. From May to October of 1999 Yakima Clean Air and the WA State Department of Ecology did a study which determined that ground level ozone is not currently an air pollution concern in the Upper Valley.

Where is the Air Quality Measured?

Our Agency has real time reporting monitors for particulate matter smaller than 10 microns (PM10) at the Central Washington Comprehensive Mental Health Building, 402 So. 4th Ave. The hourly results from these monitors are reported on this website. In addition our Agency operates non-real time monitors to determine compliance with federal standards at the following locations:
PM10 - Comprehensive Mental Health, Yakima and Harrison Middle School, 
Sunnyside; and
PM2.5 - Comprehensive Mental Health.

What causes Indoor Air Quality Problems?

The cause of poor indoor air quality can be difficult to determine, but many times it is associated with poor ventilation, high air moisture levels, or emissions from new carpet or furniture.

Where can I get Information on Indoor Air Quality?

This website has a link to a U. S. Environmental Protection Agency website with indoor air quality information. Consulting industrial hygienists can sample for the agents causing indoor air quality problems and make recommendations.

Burning even clean dry wood produces air pollutants like carbon monoxide, small particulate and a host of toxic compounds that cause cancer and exacerbate respiratory conditions like asthma, chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

Where can I get a Burn Permit in the Lower Valley?

Lower Valley Locations

Ace Valley Western, Inc., 224 Division Street, Grandview, WA 98930

FEE: $50.00

Blue Sky Market, Inc. - Mabton, PO Box 247, 330 North Street, Mabton, WA 98935

FEE: $50.00

Country Corner Market, 2601 Scheller Rd., Sunnyside, WA 98944

FEE: $51.00

Zillah Pro Hardware, 605 First Avenue, P.O. Box 1309, Zillah, WA 98953

FEE: $51.00


Where can I get a Burn Permit in the Upper Valley?

Upper Valley Locations

Yakima Regional Clean Air Agency, 186 Iron Horse Court, Suite 101, Yakima, WA 98901

FEE: $48.00 

Gleed Feed and Seed, 3331 Maple Way, Yakima, WA 98904

FEE: $51.00

East Valley Market, 7208 Postma Rd., Yakima, WA 98901

FEE: $51.00

Helms True Value Hardware, 475 N. Wenas Rd., Selah, WA 98942

FEE: $50.00 

West Valley
Stein's Ace Hardware Home Center, PO Box 8350, 7200 W. Nob Hill Blvd., Yakima, WA 98908

FEE: $51.00


What do other Outdoor and Agricultural Burn Permits cost?

Fee Schedule

Sign up for Burn Ban Alerts

Yakima Regional Clean Air Agency
186 Iron Horse Court, Suite 101
Yakima, WA. 98901
Phone: (509) 834-2050

Clean air agency website made with Invisible Ink